Hicks laughs off Torres sale talk
Thursday, 19 June 2008

BBC Sport

Liverpool will not allow striker Fernando Torres to leave at any price, says the club's co-owner Tom Hicks.

Chelsea are said to be considering a £50m offer for the 24-year-old but Hicks made it clear Torres would not be joining Chelsea or anyone else.

"There is no price at which we would consider selling Fernando Torres," said Hicks. "The Chelsea rumours in the media are total rubbish."

Torres recently said: "I'm very happy at Liverpool and want to carry on."The Spain striker was at the centre of speculation that he was a top target for new Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari, along with AC Milan's Brazil superstar Kaka.

But Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry told BBC Sport last week: "Fernando Torres is just not for sale to anyone. It is as simple as that, really - he is not going anywhere."

Torres took the Premier League by storm last season, scoring 33 goals after his £20m move to Liverpool from boyhood club Atletico Madrid.

And he is currently delivering impressive performances for Spain at Euro 2008, where he said last week: "I have no intention of leaving. We have to focus our energies to give the little step we need to get to the top teams."

Comments Add New
Write comment
Name:
Email:
  We don't publish your mail. See privacy policy.
Title:
Please input the anti-spam code that you can read in the image.