IPL chief targets England stars
Saturday, 29 March 2008

England’s top players will feature in the lucrative Indian Twenty20 series in the future, the chairman of the Indian Premier League (IPL) believes, reports BBC.

Lalit Modi told BBC Sport he would be happy to move his season forward to accommodate England’s big names, who would all be attractive to IPL teams.

This comes after English cricket boss Giles Clarke said no England player would want to go to the IPL. “We are not interested in people playing in the IPL,” Clarke said.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman added he would not change the domestic calendar to suit the Indian league.

“The IPL is a domestic competition and we’re not going to alter our season for a domestic season in another country,” he said.

The billion-dollar competition, which has attracted players from every leading cricket nation apart from England, runs from 18 April to 1 June, clashing with the English domestic and international seasons. Any English cricketer wishing to compete in the IPL, or any other overseas league, requires the ECB’s approval.

So far, Hampshire all-rounder Dimitri Mascarenhas, who has played one-day and Twenty20 cricket for England, is the only Englishman to sign up for the league.

But on Thursday, New Zealand allowed five players, including skipper Daniel Vettori, to miss the start of their tour of England so they can play in the IPL.

Comments Add New
Write comment
Name:
Email:
  We don't publish your mail. See privacy policy.
Title:
Please input the anti-spam code that you can read in the image.