Australia Commonwealth Team New Delhi-Bound Despite Shootings
Tuesday, 21 September 2010

The Australian Commonwealth Games Association (ACGA) said Sunday's tourist shooting in New Delhi will not change its Commonwealth Games plans.

New Zealand's Prime Minister, meanwhile, remained confident of his country's participation in next month's multi-sport event.

Reacting to Sunday's incident in which two Taiwanese tourists sustained injuries, ACGA chief executive Perry Crosswhite said he had been told by organisers it was not Games-related and that the Australian government had not changed its travel advisory. "At the moment we do not see a need to change our planning which continues to maintain a high level of security awareness," Crosswhite said in a statement on Monday.

"The ACGA remains of the view that there is an acceptable level of security being provided for our 2010 Commonwealth Games team in New Delhi."

In New Zealand, Prime Minister John Key was confident of his compatriots' participation in the Oct. 3-14 Games.

"One always takes these things seriously but we are also very hopeful that the Commonwealth Games will proceed, that New Zealand will go and do very well," Key was quoted as saying by New Zealand Press Association.

The Games organising committee has assured that the incident would have no impact on the event.

Source: bdnews24.com

Comments Add New
Write comment
Name:
Email:
  We don't publish your mail. See privacy policy.
Title:
Please input the anti-spam code that you can read in the image.