Swine Flu Cases Rise to 604
Sunday, 27 September 2009

At least 232 H1N1 positive cases have been detected in the last two weeks, taking the tally of people infected with swine flu in Bangladesh to 604.

In a regular new briefing on swine flu on Sunday, director of the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) Mahmudur Rahman said none of the newly infected people died.

Earlier on Sep 13, IEDCR said there are 372 infected in Bangladesh.

The government has so far confirmed three deaths from the virus after the first case of infection was detected on June 18.

Now officials are saying that the extent of swine flu infection has eased in recent weeks in the country.

Rahman said at least 318,925 people have been infected with the virus in 191 countries, but 3, 917 people have died, which means fatality rate is less than one percent.

According to the IEDCR, only 14.7 percent cases in Bangladesh were needed to be treated in hospitals while the rest 85.3 percent patients have been handled at homes.

It also said 52.2 percent infections occur in Dhaka.

Of the infection, 6.9 percent happen to expatriate Bangladeshis who return home with the virus while 4.3 percent family members were infected from them.

The rest were infected due to social engagement.

Officials said the government is expecting vaccines from the World Health Organisation (WHO).

"We have asked for 15 lakh H1N1 vaccines from WHO. We expect to get them by the end of this year," Rahman said.

He said they were planning school-based awareness campaign.

Initially, teachers from each school in the capital will be trained to create awareness among students, he said. The campaign will then be spread to other parts of the country.

He, however, raised alarm about the increasing cases of malaria and dengue across the country in this season.

Source: bdnews24.com

Comments Add New
Write comment
Name:
Email:
  We don't publish your mail. See privacy policy.
Title:
Please input the anti-spam code that you can read in the image.