Karzai camp calls EU vote fraud claim irresponsible
Wednesday, 16 September 2009

KABUL, Sep 16, (Reuters) - Afghan President Hamid Karzai's camp dismissed as "irresponsible" on Wednesday a statement by EU observers that one in three votes Karzai received in last month's Afghan presidential election was suspect.

Phillippe Morillon, head of an European Union election monitoring mission, said earlier 1.1 million of about 3 million votes cast for Karzai were suspect and must be checked for fraud.

"Hamid Karzai's election campaign team believes today's announcement of the number of suspected votes by the head and deputy head of (the) EU Election Monitoring commission is partial, irresponsible and in contradiction with Afghanistan's constitution," Karzai's camp said in a statement.

"According to the constitution of Afghanistan, addressing the electoral complaints is the responsibility of the Election Complaints Commission," it said, referring to a U.N.-backed fraud watchdog that has ordered a recount of about 10 percent of polling stations.

Morillon said the observers believed 1.5 million votes were suspicious, including 1.1 million cast for Karzai and 300,000 cast for his main rival, former foreign minister Abdullah Abdullah.

Source: bdnews24.com

Comments Add New
Write comment
Name:
Email:
  We don't publish your mail. See privacy policy.
Title:
Please input the anti-spam code that you can read in the image.