Bangladesh News

Sunday
Apr 23rd
Home arrow News arrow Nurul Islam moved to CMH, son dies in fire
Nurul Islam moved to CMH, son dies in fire PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 03 December 2008

Dhaka, Dec 3 (bdnews24.com) – Ganotontree Party president Nurul Islam suffered critical burns injuries and son Tamohar Islam, 36, died after a fire broke out early Wednesday at his Lalmatia home, police said.

Islam has been moved to the Combined Military Hospital in Dhaka Cantonment. His party has called for suspension of vote in the constituency and an investigation into the incident.

Dhaka, Dec 3 (bdnews24.com) – Ganotontree Party president Nurul Islam suffered critical burns injuries and son Tamohar Islam, 36, died after a fire broke out early Wednesday at his Lalmatia home, police said.

Islam has been moved to the Combined Military Hospital in Dhaka Cantonment. His party has called for suspension of vote in the constituency and an investigation into the incident.

Islam, also chairman of Trade Union Kendro, got nomination from the Awami League-led 14-party alliance to run the polls from Noakhali-1 constituency.

The AL has also nominated Sammilita Sangskritik Jote general secretary Golam Quddus, who is yet to withdraw.

Md Kamruzzaman, sub-inspector at Mohammadpur Police Station, told bdnews24.com that the fire broke out in their fourth-floor flat at around 3am.

Islam's wife poet Ruby Rahman is in the United States and is due to return home on Dec. 9.

Awami League president Sheikh Hasina went to see Islam at Dhaka Medical College Hospital on Wednesday.

As he was treated for burns, Islam told reporters after he was nominated, unidentified Islamist militants had been intimidating him and his son over telephone and asking him not to contest the polls.

SI Kamruzzaman also said quoting Hasibul Hasan, a BBA student and resident of the flat above Islam's, at around 3am Hasib and two of his friends were busy with their computer when they heard something fall downstairs with a thud.

Investigating, they found smoke billowing out of one of their windows too, heard someone yelling downstairs, "Fire! Please save us!"

The three friends rushed downstairs, broke open the entrance to the flat, rescued seriously injured Islam and sent him to DMCH. The firefighters also arrived soon after.

Hasan said the firefighters and local people doused the fire and discovered the body of Tamohar from the living room.

The police officer said the drawing-cum-dining room looked totally ravaged. The electric fan, TV set, refrigerator and other gadgets were destroyed.

The refrigerator's compressor might have exploded following the fire that broke out from electrical short-circuit, he said quoting the firemen.

Source: bdnews24.com

Comments Add New
Write comment
Name:
Email:
  We don't publish your mail. See privacy policy.
Title:
Please input the anti-spam code that you can read in the image.
 
< Prev   Next >