Bangladesh News

Saturday
Oct 21st
Home arrow News arrow Sports News arrow Hammers appeal hopes crushed in Tevez row
Hammers appeal hopes crushed in Tevez row PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 27 September 2008

AFP, LONDON - West Ham's bid to avoid a 30-million-pound payout over the Carlos Tevez affair via an appeal to the Court of Arbritration for Sport (CAS) looks set to fail after the tribunal said it would be unable to consider the case.

CAS Secretary General Matthieu Reeb told the BBC on Friday that the Lausanne-based body could not issue a judgement because West Ham was the only party to the dispute asking for one.
 
"We would need agreement from Sheffield United and for Football Association rules to allow an appeal to CAS," Reeb explained.
 
Sheffield Utd are seeking 30 million pounds in damages after a Football Association-appointed tribunal ruled that Tevez had been instrumental in keeping West Ham in the Premier League two seasons ago when he was not eligible to play for them because of contractual irregularities.
 
But for Tevez's illegal contribution to the Hammers cause, Sheffield United could have survived in the top flight and the Yorkshire club are claiming damages to cover lost television income, reduced player values and other losses incurred as a result of relegation.
 
In light of that, they would be unlikely to agree to a CAS hearing that would carry the risk of the FA tribunal's decision being overturned.
 
It is equally unlikely that the FA would agree to waive the application of its rule which requires parties to a tribunal to have signed away their rights of appeal to any other body or a court of law.
 
News of the setback for the Hammers came as it emerged that at least ten Sheffield United players have taken legal advice over the possibility of suing West Ham for earnings lost as a result of relegation.

Comments Add New
Write comment
Name:
Email:
  We don't publish your mail. See privacy policy.
Title:
Please input the anti-spam code that you can read in the image.
 
< Prev   Next >