Bangladesh News

Aug 25th
Home arrow News arrow Country News arrow DU, BUET quiet after JCD rampage
DU, BUET quiet after JCD rampage PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 26 August 2008

News on Tarique injury in prison

Desk Report

The Dhaka University on Monday was quiet hours after violence erupted on the news that ailing BNP leader Tarique Rahman slipped and injured himself in the bathroom in prison.

Authorities deployed police at the accesses to campus at Nilkhet and Shahbagh after pro-BNP students rampaged and damaged at least 12 vehicles, leaving a bystander killed.
The law-enforcers were letting in nobody except the students, teachers and the staff, senior correspondent Liton Haider said.
The situation at the nearby Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) in Palashey and Dhaka College on Mirpur Road, where the violence spilled into, was getting normal, as well, Haider added.
Traffic was remarkably thin on the road.
Deputy commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police Atikul Islam, who is now in charge of Ramna area, told that the situation was 'totally under control'.
The victim, Jahangir Alam, a shopkeeper by profession, died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital from burns injuries he had suffered when demonstrators of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal set ablaze a microbus on Mirpur Road.
The shops on Mirpur Road were closed in protest at the death of the shopkeeper, Haider said.
The JCD activists were holding a meeting at the foot of Aparajeyo Bangla on DU campus around 1 pm when the news came that Tarique had hurt himself after tripping in the bathroom.
They marched towards Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Hospital in Shahbagh where Tarique is being treated under custody,'s Dhaka University correspondent Jannatul Ferdaus reported.
The police dispersed them, prompting the angry activists to vandalise at least 12 vehicles in front of the Institute of Fine Arts.
Some activists also set fire to a taxi cab in front of Rokeya Hall.
The demonstrators barricaded the access to the university in Nilkhet and within minutes, the agitation spread to BUET and Dhaka College.
Tarique fell and injured himself in the prison ward bathroom Monday afternoon, doctors and a prisons official said.
Inspector general of prisons, Brig Gen Zakir Hasan told "Tarique Rahman fell and sustained slight injuries to his back and forehead. His forehead has a slight cut."
Two of his doctors told that the detained elder son of former prime minister Khaleda Zia was taking rest after being examined and treated.

Comments Add New
Write comment
  We don't publish your mail. See privacy policy.
Please input the anti-spam code that you can read in the image.
< Prev   Next >